Monday, March 5, 2012

A Throne Fit For An Elven Queen!

I'm seriously thinking of keeping this piece in my home when the play is over!!

I'm going to love painting and upholstering this...and I know nothing about upholstering anything!!

I love it and it's not even finished!!

With a throne AND my clipboard.....well, ruling the world just doesn't seem optional!!

But back to earth......

So, Saturday my Dad and I built  this.....


It's the throne for the Elven Queen in The Hobbit.

It is amazing to me what can be built with wood and skill.

I have neither....I'm so happy my Dad does and let's me help!
So....

We started with two 4x4s and other wood odds and ends in my Dad's workshop...



He just got done building the set for my niece's high school musical and was able to salvage a few pieces for us.
Yay for free!!

We got started cutting...here we have some legs and seat supports...


which when attached made for a good start!


It's so fun when it start's to take shape!

Check out all those drivers!!


Quick sidenote: 
This is most of the power drivers my Dad has in his workshop.
Rather than changing between drills and drivers he keeps enough on hand to be able to hold what he needs!
Yea, he's s smartie!!
(He actually is...his innovations around their house amaze me!!)

There he is!!


Oooohhh, now that's a chair!!
It just can't be called it a throne yet!


To be a throne it at least needs a seat so he looked into his stash of wood for the right piece, zipped it through the saw and we had a seat!


Then the fun began with design details!!


A bit more cutting, measuring, figuring angles and voila!!

That's no chair, that's a throne!!


And yes, he is the master of all he surveys...unless my Mom is around!!

But, a throne needs armrests...no royal should have dangling arms!


My Dad showed me how to use his jig saw...I'm pretty sure that's what he told me it's called!

Using this neato, rotating, going-up-and-down sander I can shape arms....well, I can do one only because matching them up is beyond me.

(It's theater, the audience is way far away...nobody will notice!!)  (whew!!)

That's me!


After the arms were attached nicely, my Dad found the red finials in his stash, we affixed them and we have...
The Throne!!!


Check out the concept drawing and the real deal....not bad, huh???
(That detail piece may or may not come later, btw.)


I truly had a great day building with my Dad!!

* * * * * 

Yea, my Dad.....he's pretty awesome!!!


* * * * * 


Have a super day!!






3 comments:

  1. What a fun post. Your Dad's workshop looks awesome, and I'm glad to see you both wore eye protection and masks!

    Fantastic throne - I love the curvy armrests.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what's better the guide on building the throne, or the story of you and your father working on it. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete